WASHINGTON — US President Donald Trump will maintain discussing Israel’s settlement enterprise ” the White House said after Israel announced plans to build roughly 15,000 new components in East Jerusalem.
“I am certain that we will continue to have conversations with the prime minister,” Press Secretary Sean Spicer said when asked in the daily press briefing when Netanyahu was “snubbing” the president. “That will be something which the president will continue to go over.”
The latest building project was declared by Israel’s Housing Ministry a week, a few days after reports circulated that Trump is planning to visit the country. A senior administration official would just tell The Times of Israel that the White House has been “exploring” a visit to the Jewish country and other countries.
Trump has lent his discontent with all the settlement undertaking of Israel.
In a joint press conference together with Netanyahu at Washington in February, the president told him he wanted Israel to “return on settlements for a tiny bit.”
White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer speaks during a briefing in the White House April 17, 2017. (AFP Photo/Brendan Smialowski)
In addition, he told that the Sheldon Adelson-owned Hebew-language daily Israel Hayom that settlements “don’t help the process … and every single time you choose property for settlements, so there is not as much land left.”
Trump, who’s meeting with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbass in the White House this week, has recently initiated an attempt to broker a Israeli-Palestinian peace agreement, what he’s referred to as “the greatest deal.”
To jump-start negotiations, he sent his distinctive Enjoy for global Negotiations Jason Greenblatt on a “listening tour” in the area in which he met with many stakeholders at the decades-old battle.
US Middle East envoy Jason Greenblatt meets Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas on the sidelines of the Arab League Summit in Amman, March 28, 2017 (Wafa/Thair Ghnaim)
Greenblatt held meetings with an Israeli delegation and Netanyahu, but was unable to achieve a formal bargain on settlements. The 2 countries reportedly arrived to restrict Israel’s settlement action.
Netanyahu’s statement came after the security cabinet approved programs to set up a new settlement from the West Bank for households evicted in the razed Amona outpost last month after the High Court of Justice ruled it was built illegally on private Palestinian property.
Even the Prime Minister’s Office reported that Israel will stop the building of any new outposts also that any building would be limited to settlement boundaries or adjacent to them.